Sunday, October 30, 2005

Sunday, October 30 - Paris

Up again for another day in Paris. We're on a mission this morning, to get over to the Louvre and see the art. So, after grabbing a quick breakfast, off we went.

Anyone familiar with the Louvre can attest to the overwhelmed feeling you get when you visit the place for the first time. It's a giant place, with pieces that cover every period form antiquity to the mid-19th century. You have to be a SERIOUS art person to be able to cover it all, and even then it usually takes several days. The average visitor like myself can usually only hope to cover the blockbusters and a few of the representative collections before collapsing, head spinning from trying to absorb the magnitude of what you're seeing. Such was my experience, but it was a happy one. I saw the Venus de Milo, the Mona Lisa, the Winged Victory of Samothrace, and dozens of other famous pieces. Up close and in the flesh (so to speak), it's pretty awesome. It's going to take me a while to get my photographs posted, but as soon as I'm back to Florence I'll get going on them.

Wrapping up that visit, we walked back through Tuilerie Gardens and then along the Champs-Elysees to a Metro stop that would take us to our hotel. After dropping cameras we wandered out for a meal, stopping this time into a café near the hotel. After dinner, were wiped out and my feet were killing me (damn these blisters!), so we decided to let discretion be the better part of valor and went back to the hotel early. For some reason, watching rugby and writing postcards seemed like the perfect way to spend the rest of the evening. We've got another Orly-Pisa-Florence trip ahead of us tomorrow, so it'll probably be a good idea to get some rest.

'Till then,
Leanne

No comments: