Thursday, September 08, 2005

Another day, another round of database work...

Not a whole lot happening today--I'm just doing my best to get a Posey job wrapped up so I can go play with a clear conscience. I ended up dozing off last night at around 11:00pm and sleeping until almost 11:00am, which seems to be a sign that I’m a little more jet-lagged than I thought. Hopefully, I’ll be more caught up on sleep so I can start feeling normal again.

Tomorrow will be another walking day. Lorenzo (one of the staff from CAPA, the Centers for Academic Programs Abroad), will be leading a hike on Mount Ceceri, which is southeast of Fiesole. Here we’ll see the ancient quarries of pietra serena (grey stone) used to build many of the palaces and monuments here in Florence. I’m hoping that my blister will have healed itself by then, since I’m not about to stay in just to nurse my little toe back to health. Since we don’t have a car every day involves some amount of walking, either to the market (and we’re now proud owners of a Standa membership card!), or just out for a stroll, but the distances vary with what’s going on and how energetic we feel. Sometimes a mile or two, sometimes more.

We’ve had rain nearly every day, which is probably typical for this time of year. Usually just a sprinkle, and today I didn’t even bother with an umbrella, but yesterday morning it came down in bucketfuls. Thank heavens I got my hair cut short before I left. Temperatures are warm right now--somewhere in the high seventies, I’d guess--and I’m making god use of my summer clothes, walking around in t-shirts, tank tops, and sandals. It’ll get cooler eventually, I’m sure, and I’ve been warned that Amsterdam will be chilly when we get there in November. Sounds good to me.

Okay, back to work. Hi to everyone at home.

-Leanne

No comments: